Sub Surface provide Phase 1 Desktop Study and Walkover Surveys to satisfy the various regulatory requirements of Planning Departments, Environmental Health Departments, the Environment Agency, Building Control Departments, National House Building Council (NHBC) and property transactions.
A Phase 1 Desktop Study is the collation and review of published information about a site to obtain information regarding the sites historical, geological and environmental setting. The Phase 1 Desktop Study is normally carried out at the start of the Site Investigation process to characterise the site and provide information for the remainder of the site investigation. Our reports include:
- Executive Summary – a summary of the report and findings on one page.
- Site Details – Site Location, Site Boundaries, Present Land Use, Proposed Site Use, Details of the Walkover Survey.
- Historical Appraisal – a review of historical Ordnance Survey plans of the past uses and structures on site and the immediate surrounding area.
- Geological Appraisal – Artificial Ground, Superficial Strata, Bedrock, Mining, Geomorphology, Natural Ground Subsidence, Radon Gas, etc.
- Environmental Appraisal – Potential Contamination Sources, Pollution History, Landfill Sites, Hydrogeology and Hydrology, Flooding, etc.
- Conceptual Ground Model – a preliminary risk assessment of potential ground related hazards and potential contamination sources, their pathways and receptors where there could be potential risks to human health, vegetation, controlled waters, structures and services.
- Site Investigation– Recommendations (if required) including, Contamination Analysis, Ground Gas Monitoring, etc.
To get a quote, email your regional Sub Surface Contracts Manager or fill in our Quick Contact Form.
High Quality, Comprehensive Phase 1 Desktop Study Reports by Professional Engineers!
CHEAPER THAN FIXED PRICES OFFERED ONLINE FOR SIMILAR PRODUCTS.
Please note, EVERY Phase 1 Desktop Study MUST include a Walkover Survey. This is a requirement by the Local Authorities! Obtaining a report without a Walkover survey are likely to be rejected or an additional Planning Condition will be added. In addition, the risk of unforeseen site investigation costs and liabilities significantly increases.
Phase 1 Desktop Study in a Coal Mining Area
For sites located within an area that might be affected by mineworkings (parts of Manchester, Yorkshire, Derbyshire, West Midlands, etc.), a Coal Authority Mining Report will be required and incorporated within the Phase 1 Desktop Study. If the Coal Authority Mining Report indicates that there is a potential for shallow mining beneath the site, then a full Coal Mining Risk Assessment will be required.
Benefits of a Phase 1 Desktop Study
The benefits of carrying out a Phase 1 Desktop Study and Walkover Survey prior to commencing intrusive works include:
- Allows the efficient targeting of project resources.
- Formulation of the preliminary geological ground model.
- Early identification of potential geohazards.
- Avoid money being wasted on inappropriate intrusive ground investigations.
- Provide early warning of possible delays or budget implications through previously unknown site characteristics.
- Provide information on possible contaminants and anticipate areas of contamination.
Local Council’s Phase 1 Desktop Study Terminology
Local Council’s use a wide variation of names for a Phase 1 Desktop Study Report within their Planning Conditions, where they generally all mean the same thing. To avoid confusion these include:
- Desk Study
- Desktop Survey
- Phase 1 Desk Study
- Preliminary Risk Assessment
- Contaminated Land Survey
- Land Contamination Assessment
- Contamination Risk Assessment
- Phase 1 Site Investigation and Risk Assessment
- Phase 1 Ground Investigation
Whom to Contact
If you would like a quote for a Phase 1 Desktop Study and Walkover Survey or have any questions, please fill in our Quote Form or Contact your Regional Sub Surface Office.